Roasted Mushroom and Bread Soup
Serves: 6 (appx 6 cups finished soup)
Pro For Home Containers:
2 each Large - without Insert Tray
3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 cups Assorted Mushrooms, Washed and Dried on Paper Towels
¼ cup Shallots, Peeled and Thinly Sliced
1 cup Carrots, Peeled and Thinly Sliced
3 cloves Garlic, Chopped
1 tbsp Thyme Leaves, Picked off the Stems
½ tsp Curry Powder
1 cup White Wine
3/4 cups Crusty Bread, Torn
2 cups Vegetable Stock
Fresh cracked pepper
1. In a heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high flame. Once the oil begins to lightly smoke, add the mushrooms. Do not move the mushrooms until the bottom starts to brown. When it begins to brown, stir once and continue to cook until the mushrooms are evenly browned. Reserve 1/3 of the mushrooms for garnish.
2. Add the shallots, carrots, garlic, thyme leaves, and curry powder. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until the vegetables are softened, about another 5 minutes.
3. Add the white wine and deglaze the pan. Reduce the wine until evaporated completely.
4. Add the bread and vegetable stock, and cook until the liquid has reduced by 25%. Season the soup with salt and pepper.
5. Puree the mixture in a blender and strain if desired. For more texture, use a hand blender. Add more vegetable stock as needed to adjust the thickness for your preference.
6. At this stage, the soup can be stored with the lid off in a LARGE (without insert tray) Pro For Home Container until cooled, then covered until ready for use. To reheat, release the lid slightly and microwave until hot, stirring every minute and a half.
7. Serve with the reserved roasted mushrooms when ready to use.
More Recipes & Storage Suggestions
Steamed Broccoli with Pesto Broth, Walnuts and Pecorino Romano
Coq au Vin “GZ”
Butter Lettuce Salad, Parisienne Style
Brown Rice Crab Cakes
Briased Green Beans with Tomatoes